Author Topic: Warning: exec() has been disabled (Autothumbnailing) ?!  (Read 6954 times)

Offline Shine2

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
Warning: exec() has been disabled (Autothumbnailing) ?!
« on: January 11, 2003, 05:44:47 PM »
I've installed netpbm the correct way (works also with other gallery).
 After I've uploaded the image(s) and want to autothumbnail them i get the message:
Erstelle Thumbnail für: test (03.jpg) ....  
Warning: exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /www/htdocs/xxxx/beeldspraak/includes/image_utils.php on line 111

Fehler beim Erstellen des Thumbnails!

Since I am not a programmer I really don't know what this means and what I should do to get it work.
The path to netpbm is definately correct.

Grtz., Shine2

Offline Jan

• Administrator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
    • 4images - Image Gallery Management System
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2003, 06:11:40 PM »
Your hoster has disabled the exec() function which is neccessary for creating thumbnails. The only way is to ask him if he can enable the function.

Jan
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
1. Forum rules
2. FAQ
3. Search

Offline Shine2

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2003, 06:22:42 PM »
Not long ago I posted a similar question. See:
http://www.4homepages.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2304&highlight=netpbm

But then I got the 'system' problem ;-) Changed it into (like you said) exec and it worked well then. No of a sudden it doesn't.
Contacting the hoster because they've made some changes.
How do one gets crazy....... I am busy in finding out the problem all day  :evil:  :evil:

Jan thanks, will contact them.

Grtz., Shine

Offline Shine2

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2003, 12:41:25 AM »
Contacted my hoster. Yes they've shut off the executable function and wont turn it back on. (security reasons. what do they mean for security reasons? Why is this function unsecure? I really don't know and understand it at all!)

I feel realy sad because now I can start all over again with 3 different galeries. Two of them I cannot even use anymore because they wont function without NetPbm or Imagemagick.

As for 4Images it looks i have to go back and make use of GD. (arghhhhhh)
Apart from feeling sad I am angry as hell........pfffffff sharing it right here with just a few words releaves a bit.

Shine.  :(

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • Did u ever stop to think and then forget to start?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2003, 04:36:03 AM »
Quote from: Shine2
Contacted my hoster. Yes they've shut off the executable function and wont turn it back on. (security reasons. what do they mean for security reasons? Why is this function unsecure? I really don't know and understand it at all!)

It sounds like either your hosting provider is either uninformed about how to properly set up a secure web hosting environment or is unwilling to invest the time to learn how.  exec() in and of itself is not a security problem and disabling it entirely is overkill in my opinion.

Based on this discovery, you might run into other issues with your host.  My advice would be to change hosts.  The aggrevation of doing so would likely offset the aggrevation you're experiecing now trying to get 4images to work.  Just my two cents.

Offline geohei

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 08:14:37 AM »
Create thumbnail for: 20021207 130238 o (20021207_130238_o.jpg) ....  
Warning: system() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/.arpel/imagesx/includes/image_utils.php on line 111

Error creating thumbnail

I have exactly the same problem as Shine2, except that the command is system() and not exec(). Is it possible that the hoster switched off System() as well (can hardly believe that) ?!?!

... later ...

I got the following now from the hoster's KB:
2: DISABLED EXECUTION FUNCTIONS

We have disabled the backticks operator (``), system(), exec(), passthru(), and dl() because all of these functions could be used to run naughty external processes as Apache's user.

If you need to use these functions, we have provided a second PHP system, PHP-CGI, which runs all your PHP scripts as if they were CGI's, so they run as your user and group. There are no restrictions on these scripts (not even open_basedir restrictions).

Does this mean I cannot use exec() and system() ????

Offline spiffykiwi

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2003, 08:21:20 AM »
sigh. my hosts will not enable it either. Is there anything that can be done to have it work without it?

Offline Jan

• Administrator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
    • 4images - Image Gallery Management System
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2003, 03:33:57 PM »
No, it is not possible to use it without this functions, sorry.

Jan
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
1. Forum rules
2. FAQ
3. Search